1. Transport of equipment between EU member states
Since the 1993 abolition of fiscal frontiers between EU member states, most border controls and formalities related to merchandise have been eliminated. Due to its temporary nature, the import and export of equipment connected with a film shoot does not require a customs declaration and is not subject to duty
2. Transport of equipment between a EU member and a non-member state : The ATA Carnet
The ATA convention, signed by more than 30 countries including France, aims to simplify temporary import and export operations between EU member and nonmember states.
Participating countries are: Algeria, Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Mauritius, India, Israel, Japan, Libya, Malaysia, Malta, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Romania, Senegal, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, USA. Overseas territories: French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Martinique, New Caledonia, Reunion, Wallis- &-Futuna.
The ATA carnet allows for several border crossings in the course of a temporary import or export operation, such as the transport of equipment for a film shoot. The carnet is issued by the Chambers of Commerce and Industry or their equivalent in the country of origin (for example in the USA: United States Council for International Business), and is valid for a maximum of one year for an unlimited, but previously specified number of border crossings registered by the Chamber of Commerce.
Final re-importation must take place within the carnet’s period of validity and before the last reimportation date specified by customs in the counterfoil and export sections of the document. The carnet once used, must be returned to the Chamber of Commerce at the latest one month after the expiration of its period of validity. It is advisable to call on a specialized freight agent to take care of transport and customs clearing.
This transport service company is specialized in film equipment: Film Aire Services
The ATA Carnets are delivered by the CCI (Chamber of Commerce and Industries). You need to check with your authorities here : http://www.atacarnet.in/
- Départements Formalités Internationales et Services aux entreprises (Chamber of Commerce) 75040 Paris Cedex 01 Tel : + 331 556 536 88/94 firstname.lastname@example.org
- United States Council for International Business 1212 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10036 - USA Tel : 001 (212) 354-4480 www.uscib.org
- International Sanitary Coordination, Importations Bureau 251 rue de Vaugirard 75732 Paris Cedex Tel: + 33 (0) 1 49 55 58 35
- Film France, email@example.com